How to Make the World’s Best Hot Chocolate
Hot chocolate is a winter must-have for children and adults alike. Hot chocolate quality can range from a powder you mix with water to something much, much more exquisite and delectable. Award-winning pastry chef, Jacques Torres left his position to open a chocolate shop and as a connoisseur of all things chocolate, he knows a thing or two about fine chocolate and how to make the world’s best hot chocolate. One of his secrets for the best hot chocolate is to use 60-70% dark chocolate, and corn starch and milk powder for a thicker, more velvety texture. Use these instructions to achieve the hot chocolate of your dreams:
Make the Whipping Cream Topping
Use one cup of heavy cream, pour it into a medium sized mixing bowl and put it in the freezer. You will come back to this later to whip it. Not only will it be easier but it will be thicker and more delicious. Use a large whisk after about five minutes and whisk vigorously until you have achieved the desired consistency. A pro tip is to use 3 whisks at once as this will get air into the mixture quickly and the whipping cream will be light and fluffy. When the mixture looks like marshmallow fluff put it in the refrigerator.
Making the Hot Chocolate
- Bring 2 cups of whole milk to a boil over medium-high heat. This will make four servings so adjust your amounts to suit the number of guests you are serving.
- While the milk is heating measure ½ cup of milk powder and 1 teaspoon of cornstarch. Combine the two in a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Measure about ¾ cup of coarsely chopped dark chocolate. You can cut chocolate from a bar or use dark chocolate chips used for baking recipes.
- When the milk is boiling turn the heat down to medium and whisk it. Add the chocolate all at once while you continue to whisk.
- Keep whisking while you add the mixture of milk powder and cornstarch. When the chocolate is all melted bring the mixture to a boil again for a super velvety and flavourful result. This double boiling technique will help to develop the flavour fully.
- This makes a very rich hot chocolate that is dessert quality. If you want a thinner hot chocolate simply start with 3 cups of milk rather than two to dilute the recipe.
- Pour the hot chocolate immediately into 4 serving glasses and use a spoonful of whipping cream to garnish each. Your guests will be in hot chocolate heaven.
En Ville catering is available to create custom menus for any holiday occasion or event, including rich and decadent hot chocolate recipes to serve to your guests. en Ville is a top wedding catering company in Toronto and services are available anywhere in the GTA and the surrounding areas. Locations that we can service include Scarborough, Etobicoke, Mississauga, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham, Newmarket, Whitby, Hamilton, Oakville, Woodbridge, Brampton, Pickering, Ajax, and Burlington. Give us a call to see what we can do for your next holiday party or event, 416-533-8800.